Songs from Philippians
This is the fiftieth entry in a series on Songs from the Books of the Bible.
Southern Gospel songs focus on many of the highest themes known to mankind—songs of Salvation, the Cross, the Resurrection, and eternity. But critics claim that they focus on these themes to the exclusion of other Biblical themes which are appropriate and perhaps necessary to address in song.
For how many chapters in Philippians can we find Southern Gospel songs addressing their themes?
- Philippians 1:21: To Live is Christ (LordSong)
- Philippians 1:23: Citizen of Two Worlds (Hoppers)
- Philippians 2:9: Name Above All Names (Henry & Hazel Slaughter)
- Philippians 2:9: A Name Above Every Name (Heaven Bound)
- Philippians 2:9: No Other Name (Gaither Vocal Band, Couriers)
- Philippians 2:9: No Other Name (Hoppers)
- Philippians 2:9: More Than Just Another Name (Hoppers)
- Philippians 2:9: He’s More Than Just a Swear Word (Couriers)
- Philippians 2:9: There Is No Other Name (Crist Family)
- Philippians 2:10: Bow the Knee (Kirk Talley)
- Philippians 2:10: Every Knee Shall Bow (Ivan Parker, Rick Webb Family)
- Philippians 2:10: Every Eye Shall See (Bill Gaither Trio)
- Philippians 2:10: Every Eye Shall See (Statesmen)
- Philippians 2:14: I Can’t Complain (Florida Boys)
- Philippians 3:7: Timothy’s Burden (Martins)
- Philippians 3:7-16: That’s What I’m Living For (McKameys)
- Philippians 3:14: I’m Pressing Toward the Mark (Speer Family)
- Philippians 3:14: Pressing Toward the Prize (McKameys)
- Philippians 3:14: Press On, O Pilgrim, There is Joy Ahead (Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver)
- Philippians 3:14: Press On (Rick Webb Family)
- Philippians 3:14: Press On (Dixie Echoes) (second song)
- Philippians 3:14: Pressing On (Perrys)
- Philippians 4:4: I Rejoice in the Lord (Greater Vision, Kitsons) (also Psalm 33:1, Psalm 97:2, Isaiah 41:16, Isaiah 61:10, Joel 2:23, Habakkuk 3:18, Zechariah 10:7, Philippians 3:1)
- Philippians 4:4: Rejoice, My Children, Rejoice (Kyla Rowland, Perrys)
- Philippians 4:7: Wonderful Peace (McKameys)
- Philippians 4:7: When He Speaks (McKameys)
- Philippians 4:8: Think On the Good Things (Gaither Vocal Band, Hoppers)
- Philippians 4:8: Think About the Good Things (Florida Boys, Kingsmen)
- Philippians 4:12-13: Secrets (McKameys)
- Philippians 4:18: I Am Strong (James Blackwood Quartet)
What others come to mind?
For more about Songs from Books of the Bible—and other Southern Gospel news and commentary—follow our RSS feed or sign up for our email updates!
Comment Rules: Keep comments positive, constructive, and on topic. Don't attack or belittle groups or fellow posters. (Move off-topic discussions to our open threads.)